NOTE: Please park in Parking Structure 4 for New Student Orientation. The check in will begin promptly at 8 am. We will NOT take walk-ins. All participants must be registered to attend.
Chemistry and Math Placement Exams
We recommend that students in the following majors enroll in CHEM 200 and/or MATH 150 your first semester at SDSU (see chart below). Before enrolling in either of these courses, you must take the appropriate SDSU chemistry and/or math placement exam(s). You should take the exam(s) a minimum of four weeks before your attendance at New Student Orientation so that you will have your results prior to registering for your classes.* You will register for classes at New Student Orientation.
|astronomy||Math 150||Chem 200 (recommended)|
|athletic training||Chem 200|
|chemical physics||Math 150||Chem 200|
|chemistry||Math 150||Chem 200|
|computer science||Math 150||Chem 200 (optional)|
|engineering (all majors)||Math 150||Chem 200 or 202, for most majors.
(Go to www.sdsu.edu/mymap for requirements specific to your major.)
|environmental science||Math 150||Chem 200|
|geography||Math 150 (optional)|
|geological sciences||Math 150||Chem 200|
|kinesiology (prephysical therapy)||Chem 200|
|physical science||Math 150||Chem 200|
|physics||Math 150||Chem 200|
(list subject to change)
As noted in the SDSU 2013-2014 General Catalog, enrollment in Chemistry 200 or 202 is limited to those students who have either:
- Completed Chemistry 100 (or equivalent) with a grade of “C” or better, or
- Satisfied the CSU Entry Level Mathematics requirement AND passed the SDSU Chemistry Department Placement Exam
As noted in the SDSU 2013-2014 General Catalog, enrollment in Calculus I, Mathematics 150, is limited to those students who have either:
- Completed Mathematics 141 (or equivalent) with a grade of “C” or better, or
- Satisfied the CSU Entry Level Mathematics requirement AND passed the SDSU Precalculus Proficiency Assessment
Students will not be able to register for Chemistry 200 or 202 and/or Calculus I, Mathematics 150 until they have satisfied these prerequisites and the qualifying information has been posted to their student records. To insure adequate time for the registration hold to be lifted, students satisfying the prerequisites should submit transcripts or pass the Chemistry and/or Mathematics Department Placement Exam a minimum of four weeks prior to your attendance at orientation.
Students can take the SDSU Chemistry Department Placement Exam and/or the SDSU Precalculus Proficiency Assessment on the SDSU campus. In addition, these tests will be offered at these Northern California dates and locations:
- Friday, June 28, 2013 – San Jose State University (8:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 29,2013 – CSU – Stanislaus (8:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m.)
- Friday, July 12, 2013 - CSU – Sacramento (8:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m.)
- Saturday, July 13, 2013 – Location TBD (8:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m.)
For a complete schedule of the dates on which the exams are offered visit www.sdsu.edu/testoffice.
For additional information regarding the SDSU Chemistry Department Placement Exam and/or the SDSU Precalculus Proficiency Assessment, see www.sdsu.edu/testoffice.
*In order to register for classes, you MUST complete the following steps:
- Pay the full amount of your course registration fees two weeks prior to attending orientation in order to have your fees processed on time. If you pay online, your fees will be processed by the next business day. You MUST pay your fees on time or you will not be able to register for classes at orientation.
(See the fee schedules)
- You MUST clear any holds indicated on the "My Registration" page located in your SDSU WebPortal. It can take up to 48 hours to clear some holds. Please plan accordingly or you will not be able to register for classes at orientation.
( NOTE: Information is Subject to Change)